Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Beer!

Discerning readers might have observed, if they happen to be unusually observant, that I like beer. I mean, it’s not as if I’m addicted or anything, and no one who knows me will claim I have a beer belly, but I do like the occasional glass of ale, thank you very much.
Advanced and dedicated sociological research, usually carried out in the late evenings, has shown that the pleasure to be obtained from downing glass after glass of beer is considerably heightened if the right accompaniments are around.
These include but are not necessarily limited to absence of irritating female company (Irritating Female: “Oh Rahul! MUST you burp after drinking that beer? And why do you drink so much beer anyways?!”
Irritated Male: “Sorry”
Irritated Male to Himself: “Yes, you crazy itch with a capital B, I MUST burp after drinking beer, because that’s what beer’s all about. And I drink so much beer because it keeps me from murdering you right away. And if I drink enough, oh joy, maybe I will.”
You know what I mean?)
, extremely loud music
(Long haired guy with an equally long beard, pierced eyebrows, nose, tongue, lips and God alone knows what else yelling the choicest abuses in Afrikaans while Clones 1 through 5 do the same thing while banging on fantastically loud instruments. Honestly, that’s what I think most metal rock is.)
, and warm beer
(And if the Brits like it thataway, they’re missing out on something. There’s nothing in the world that is quite as beautiful as a cold, perfectly chilled bottle of beer that has little droplets of water running down the side. And then you pop it open, and the froth gently hisses it’s way out. And then you pour it into a frosted mug, watching that firm foam forming at the top, and those pretty little bubbles rising up to the… hang on, be right back)
Haan, so to revert to the topic at hand… not that it matters much now, but I’m of the opinion that blogs should have a point.
And the point here being, beer is drunk best when it is wonderfully chilled, with buddies for company, listening to the kind of music that is guitary, gruff and great. Classic rock, if I must spell it out.
And where does one find all of this under one roof?
It’s located on Brigade Road, and ladies and gentlemen, it’s every bit as good as they said it would be.
Pecos happens to be the new love in my life.
They have three floors given over to the sole and express purpose of serving beer.
What genius, no?
There’s comfortable seating, there’s friendly waiters who grin in perfect empathy when you ask for your tenth pitcher of beer, there’s the most fantastic beef chilly that can be had as an accompaniment, and they give you a free packet of popcorn with every pitcher.
What genius, no?
And behind the bar, on the ground floor, resides a wonderfully complete collection of the kind of music that beer demands. They have classic bands from the ages, and they actually have jazz! They have Kiran, who must be the friendliest bartender in all of Bangalore, and from what I’ve seen so far, that takes some doing.
What genius, no?
Oh, and the posters! They have an entire collection, and to get the picture in it’s entirety, you must troop over to the place. But there’s one that must find mention here. It goes “Cheers to the guys from whom Michael should learn to rock”
Amen.
I’ve spent the last two weekends in a happy haze out there, and people, you know where to find me this time around too.
I know it’s reading like Pecos paid me to do this, but you’re getting it all wrong.
I’d do it for free as well.
Currently not listening to: MLTR

No comments: