Saturday, October 06, 2007

Hamlet's Soliloquy Explained

In a remote place, far removed,
Somewhere in the mountains, way up high,
Sat the Master and his young eager disciple,
And the days passed slowly by.

Meditate they did for hours on end,
And nary a word was said,
Peace and silence reigned supreme in the morning,
And until 'twas time for bed.

Calmness and serenity was on the Master's face,
But the student was of the fidgety kind,
The Master knew all there was to know;
Unrest was on the other's mind.

Of this the Master was well aware,
And he waited for the time to come by,
When the vow of silence would be broken,
And he'd get a How, a When, a What, or a Why.

And sure enough, early one morning,
(For that is when the brain's at it's best)
The student cleared his throat,
He'd decided to put the Guru through a test.

"O Master!", said the student,
Softly and hesitatingly,
"I hope you will not mind too much -
But I have a question to ask of thee"

The Master sighed and shrugged his shoulders,
"Sure, go ahead", said he,
"Spare me the melodrama though -
Try to not say stuff like thee"

"Oh!", the student said,
For he was a little surprised,
But he readjusted his speech,
And quickly got into stride.

"Well then, what I've been thinking about,
All this time I've been here with thee...
O sorry! With you, I mean...
Is - What is my destiny?

"I mean, what is my calling in life,
What should I become, what will I be,
What is my purpose, and well, generally -
Um, y'know - what is my destiny?"

"Well, you are what you are, you know,
Or alternatively - Tat Tvam Asi,
And that in Sanskrit is like saying
Be what you wanna be!'

"So if you wanna be a singer - sing!
For that is then your destiny
And if you wanna be a dancer - dance!
And so on and so forth, y'see?"

"That is all very well, O Master",
Said the student, a little doubtfully,
"But in my case, personally,
You see, I just want to be!"

"To transcend this mortal world,
To live a peaceful life carefree,
To attain what they call Nirvana,
I really just want to be."

"To be one with the cosmos,
To experience the One, the Unity,
To be a Zen Master like you, O Master,
I really just want to be!"

The Master sighed again, for a long time.
Looked at the young one exasperatedly.
"Oh well... if you still don't get it -
Now listen, and listen carefully!"

"If you wanna sing, you're a singer,
And if you wanna dance, you're a dancer" said He.
"And if you wanna teach, you're a teacher,
And if you wanna write, you're a writer - you get me?"

"And going by that logic,
If I understand you here,
The answer is truly clear,
If you just wanna be - be a beer!"

3 comments:

Binoy said...

so inspirational! I always wanted to be too. And now there is meanin to my existence :)

Dionysus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dionysus said...

brillianto, buddy boy. Truly a treat