Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Puneri Spirit. It's Language.

हे बघा, it's not as if I agree with that despicable fellow Raj. I am most certainly not saying, or even implying, that people from outside of Pune should not stay in Pune. Most certainly not. Why, my grandfather came to Pune from Chiplun himself. पण that does not mean that you can do whatever it is that comes to your mind!
I have been staying in this city for well over eighty years now, and I tell you, young man, Pune is not what it used to be! In our time, Pune was a more gentle town, and a more genteel town. Really, it was.
You of course, will not remember this Pune - अरे, you weren't even born then.
But so many things have changed in our city. The traffic, the sheer number of people, the noise... छ्या!
And really, truth to tell, what hurts me the most is the desecration of the Puneri language. It is not my contention, really, that Pune spoke an absolutely pure Marathi in my time... you know, Sanskritised Marathi - of course not.
नाही म्हणजे, there were of course great speakers of the time who spoke only the most outstanding Marathi, but even overall, I must tell you - the standard of language is just not what it was. Our Marathi may have had a smattering of English, but it was good proper... well... it was British English, that's what it was. This American culture, I tell you... Pune just isn't what it used to be.




अहो खरच...! It really is a sad state of affairs, नाही? Just the other day, I was at the bhajiwala, and after I had finished my shopping, I asked him how much I owed him... and really!.... नाही अहो, खरच!... he said, in perfect English... English!... sixty seven rupees. Of course, I don't mean to say he shouldn't know English... it really is a very good thing that he knows English... that reminds me... my maid is taking English classes you know... and she can speak quite well now... English, that is... these people are quite smart now.... हाँ तर मी काय म्हणत होते?...oh yes! They don't speak Marathi now, you know... because most people don't use Marathi ना! Just the other day, ek rickshaw driver... I told him, "डाविकडे घ्या"... he didn't know what I was saying... and he was Maharashtrian. Really! Pune na.... it just isn't what it used to be, no?





शी अरे फ़ेऽऽऽऽऽऽऽऽल! How can he not know even that much, अरे! I mean, I'm not saying I read सकाळ every morning, but I know that much Marathi, OK?! I mean, I know, we speak only English in college, or maybe Hindi, but I do think that at least us Maharashtrian guys should know like, the proper Marathi, you know? I mean, at least the basic terminology. Compulsory types... otherwise what is the point, नाही का? Not like, totally into Marathi or something, of course not... but dude, you know what I mean man.
Not knowing when to turn left काय अरे! बाऽऽऽऽऽऽऽऽऽस!
Seriously, Pune just isn't what it used to be.

No comments: