Sunday, May 21, 2006

And miles to go before I sleep...

Today, dear reader, is the 21st of May. As you can verify by looking up the date at the top left of this posting. The point of stating the obvious is that in 10 days, I shall leave what has come to be home to go to a new city, where I shall toil unceasingly and make my living. Yes, unceasingly.
They tell me HR guys read blogs, you see.
And leaving home is never an easy thing. This city has been my home for the last twenty four years, and it is a fantastic place. And over that time span, I've come to know this city like the back of my hand.
I know where to get Chinese food at midnight, and where to get breakfast at three in the morning. I know where the bootleggers stay, and I know where to get rare imported wines. I know the finest restaurants - the ones that set you back by a couple of grand for a meal of two, and I know the places where you can have a meal for less than fifty bucks.
I know spots where you can take a bottle of beer at two in the morning, sit and look over the whole city. I know spots where you can go at five in the morning, and watch the city come to life.
I know people who are doyens of industry, and I know academicians who I'm in complete awe of.
I know old timers who regale me with stories of how they bombed theatres during the British Raj, and I know new comers from other parts of the world who can't begin to figure out the city.
I know the old part of town, the one that has existed since the 12th century, and I know the outskirts of the city, those parts that make Pune the vibrant upstart metropolis that it has become today.
I know how rude the shopkeepers can be, and I know how exasperating it is to see them downing their shutters in the afternoon. I also know how they have, for as long as anybody can remember, come up with a quality that has not faltered even once. I know the leafy quiet lanes in Deccan Gymkhana that go to sleep in the afternoon, and I know the chaos that Tilak Road turns into in the evening.
I know the utter chaotic joy that Fergusson Road turns into on weekends, as do I know the chaos that is Chor Bazaar on Wednesdays. I know the tekdis, Vetaal and Hanuman, as do I know Khadakvasla and Mulshi. Throw in Peacock Bay for good measure.
I've experienced the exhilaration of the wind at Konkan Kada on Sinhagad, as have I known the simple joy of the slightly sour curds in an earthern pot. And yes, the Zunka Bhakar. And the water from Dev Taaki.
The Steak burger at Burger King, and the Beef Roll at Nayab. The Steak Cordon Bleu at Touche, and the Drunken Chicken at Zamu's. The pastries at German Bakery and the biryani at Cafe Good Luck. I've been there to bid a fond farewell to Lucky's, may god bless its soul. Misal at Bedekar's and KheeKa at Shri's. And I've been around long enough to know that Shri's is an insult to the old timers. Fine, have it your way... Appa's it is.
Indore Farsan Samosas and Joshi Wadewaale. Rupaali and Vaishali on Fergusson Road and the cold coffee at Durga. Canal Road Pani Puri and Mann Dairy Lassi. How many of you remember the chowpaty at University Circle. How many of you aren't confused at University Cirlce being called University Circle? Sandwiches at Marzorin and Chole Bhature at Mona Foods. Diamond Bar on M G Road and Apache on F C Road. Muttonacha Rassa at Nagpur near Tilak Road and the thali at Shreyas. Baakarwadi at Chitale's and the Shrewsbury from Kayaani's.
Foodie? Who, me?
Taking a walk in Fergusson in the evening, or going for a drive upto NDA. The climb up Parvati. The drive upto Mulshi, and the lake at Manas. The drive up to Lonavla. Those new and welcome additions, E-Square and Inox. Although Alka and Vijay retain their 25 bucks a ticket charm.
Chai outside Shivajinagar at three in the morning and Pav Bhaji at Sadhu Vaswani Chowk at one in the morning. Comesum at all hours of the day, and far more importantly, night. Booze Patel, may the Good Lord bless him. And who can forget (wink, wink) Pyaasa? The cigarette tapri on JM Road and Mal Tap at Khadki.
There are so many things to write about for the nonce, no?
Non-Punekars, please excuse, or even better, come explore.
Me Puneri.

2 comments:

Binoy said...

Dude, any reason why u missed out on Polka Dots, Chaitanya, the Chinese Tapri (Aundh Road)...? They have been an integral part of our life too. Well and if this blog had anything to do with how much Pune has given us, Vasu mama's, Anju mavshi's and of course the place that has been...well u cud actually write another blog on that....wait a minute, is that the reason they have not been touched up on?

Anonymous said...

aah the good old places back home. Sometimes I get scared thinking that they must have changed too. And unfortunately since I am not there, maybe we have changed separately. Screw all that senti stuff. Cheers to a couple of beers while watching the city at night