Sunday, September 07, 2008

Stranger in a Strange Land

I was at this cafe in Bangalore today...

A large steak Chateaubriand, with two eggs (sunny side up), mashed potatoes and sauteed vegetables by the side, preceded by cheesy garlic bread and wonderfully succeeded by warm apple pie with cream and ice cream.

That has nothing to do with anything, since that was what I had for lunch. Still and all, it deserves mention because I like making my readers jealous.

That was followed by a leisurely stroll through one of Bangalore's better book stores, Blossoms. It's not a chain, it's not ultra modern, and it's got a homely feel. I like.

And so, post all those good things that should be done on a Sunday afternoon, a cup of coffee felt about right. Off we went then, to this cafe on Church Street, called Java City.

It's a small establishment, once again, not a chain - an oldish feel to the place. Posters of Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis and Ray Charles adorn the walls, old tables and chairs dot themselves all around the place, and on weekends, local oldies strum away on guitars. The people who seem to frequent the place look at home. They chat, they drink coffee, they smile, they laugh... they seem to be home.

And you know what? That makes me feel not at home.

Because when I see that kind of comfort in a restaurant / pub / cafe, I'm reminded of places in Pune. Places that I can rightfully call home. Good Luck, PD, Apache, Roopali, Appa... or a zillion others. Places where I can while away... have whiled away... hours together.

Haan, so my point is this: when I see that kind of comfort, I get reminded of places where I used to be comfortable. I get reminded of Pune.

Which is a point that has been made ad infinitum on these pages, but which is a point that is worth making again.

Bangalore is my adopted home, and it is a very nice place. As would be, I'm sure, most places on earth, if I were to live there.

But no matter where I go, and until I return home, I will always be a stranger in a strange land.


P.S. Pecos excluded. There is always an exception that proves the rule.

No comments: